Researcher at the Dept. of Oceanography of the National Institute of Oceanography and Applied Geophysics - OGS.
Research activities include:
- development of coupled hydrodynamic-biogeochemical models and investigation of biogeochemical cycles in the Adriatic Sea and the Mediterranean Sea;
- investigation of the carbonate system and acidification of the Mediterranean Sea and its marginal seas using coupled physical-biogeochemical-carbonate models;
- development and application of data assimilation, uncertainty and sensitivity analysis to coupled physical-biogeochemical models;
- investigation of the mechanisms of the carbon continental shelf pump under different climate scenarios;
- analysis of the spatial and temporal variability of physical, chemical and biological variables in estuarine and coastal ecosystems (e.g., Lagoon of Venice, Gulf of Trieste, Northern Adriatic Sea); and analysis of the relationships between ecosystem variability and natural and anthropogenic driving forcing thought modelling and statistical approaches;
- analysis of the effects of climatic changes on coastal ecosystems functioning, structure (plankton communities) and services.
The research activity is described in more than 30 papers published in ISI peer reviewed journals. Responsible of the biogeochemical component of the CMEMS Mediterranean Forecast Center. Principal investigator of MASSIMILI: a CMEMS R&D project aimed at the development of Bio-Argo Float data assimilation. Involved in several past EU FP7 projects (MyOcean, OPEC, MEDSEA, E-AIMS) and Italian research projects (VECTOR, RITMARE).